I got this recipe years ago from a friend of mine. I remember thinking that it looked so complicated and tasted so decadent. I was very happy to find that it was quick and easy. Try it out for your self!
2 packages pre-made shortcakes, usually come 6 to a package...may be called dessert cakes or dessert shells in your grocery store (or 1 Angel food cake)
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened (can use fat free)
1 (16 oz.) container sour cream (can use low fat)
2 sm. boxes (3.5 oz) vanilla instant pudding (can use fat free/sugar free)
1 large can cherry pie filling (30 oz.)
- Make pudding as directed on box, chill.
- In separate large bowl, blend cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.
- Fold in pudding, blend on low until smooth.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch pieces and cover bottom of 9x13” pan.
- Pour cream mix over bread, smooth out evenly.
- Top with spoonfuls of cherry pie filling. Use a knife to swirl it through the cream filling.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Scoop into bowls and devour with a spoon. Enjoy!!
**You can also make this dessert in a deep dish/trifle bowl by doing 2 layers of cake, mix, and cherries. It can also be made into single servings by using small dessert dishes.